Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Little Mermaid

Tonight as I was reading The Little Mermaid to Amaya, I had to think of our current series for life group.  During the month of March, we have been talking about parenting.  Tonight's lesson was on being a visionary, insightful and prayerful parent.
King Triton destroyed Ariel's treasures...all her hopes and dreams.  It wasn't that there was anything bad about the things she had stored up..it was just different than the life he had imagined for his youngest daughter.  It was part of his vision for her.  How often are we like that as parents? Do we have visions of our child doing or liking something that we want them to do/like or are we always mindful of God's plan for their life?
Not only did he destroy her "things", he destroyed her dreams and hopes in just a few short moments.  And what does she do, she becomes rebellious and turns to the sea witch.  In his hopes of "creating" a great life for his daughter he does none of that because he is stuck on his own thoughts and dreams.
One thing we've discussed about being a visionary parent, is how important it is to hear God's voice when they are young so you can guide your children in "the way that they should go." It's not always how the parents would choose as The Little Mermaid shows us. Ariel often showed interest in the "world above" but King Triton was not understanding and wanted nothing to do with "her foolishness."

We also discussed being an insightful parent.  An insightful parent has wisdom and watches their children carefully to see what is going on. This parent knows and gives the child room to be "emotional" when needed.  Again...something King Triton failed to do until the end of the movie when he gives Ariel her greatest wish.

The last thing we discussed was being a prayerful parent.  Even though it was the last thing we spent time on and we didn't leave a great deal of time for it...it is so so important.  Growing up, I had no idea if my parents were praying or me.  I've taken steps to change that for my kids.  I want them to know that I am praying for them because I do it while they are around and when they aren't around.  I don't want them to know in a prideful way but in a such a way that they feel that sheltering and comfort while knowing that I am covering them in prayer.
Just a fun little story about praying...often when I get in the car I either do one of two things. I either start singing Jesus Loves me (even when I am by myself...go figure...I am really a mom) or I start praying in tongues.  Amaya almost always asks me..."Mommy are you praying for Me, Makiyah and Daddy?"  I LOVE that! I love that she asks me.  And then the best part is praying for them and whatever is on my heart in English. 

Here are my little "Ariels".  I really really love these little ones!
Amaya showing me her silly side...and Makiyah being his usually stinker self while getting into the groceries before I put them away.

1 comment:

X-MAN said...

This is a great post my dear -- very good thoughts!