Thursday, October 22, 2009

One thing that irritates me..



So I'm going to be completely honest here. =) 

I was at the chiropractor a few days ago getting a much needed massage (a blessing that came as a result of all of Amaya's surgeries). As I was waiting, I saw a couple with two small children that reminded me very much of my own.  The girl looked almost like she was Amaya's age and the boy looked a bit older than Mak.

Since I love watching kids, I smiled as I watched the kids begin to play.  Then as I proceeded to be polite, I said hi and I asked how old they were.  The mother and father both looked at me with a "very polite" look: "She is 2 1/2 and he is 11 mo." I say, "I thought they looked about like mine. I have a 2 1/2 yr old and a 9 mo. old."
This was followed by some polite stares that said, "please don't talk to us again...I don't know why you talked to us in the first place."  YIKES!

After that small uncomfortable conversation took place, I was called back and given that much needed massage.  But as I thought about the exchange that took place, I remembered how I had tried to strike up a conversation with the father once before with the same result. Some people are just super grouchy or super stuck on themselves...or perhaps they've had something bad happen and they don't want to talk to someone who looks like a teenager and shouldn't be having kids ??  I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt but for some reason that irritated me at the time.  I'm supposed to be loving and giving...I guess that doesn't mean other people will be the same.

I think the thing that gets me the most is that looking at them, they looked like a very friendly couple.  They look like someone we (Chad and I) might have a lot in common with.  This gets me thinking about the "vibe" I give off when I'm around people I don't know.  I always try to smile a lot and engage in some conversation - even if it is just about our kids...at least we have that in common.  I hope I'm always friendly. =)

On another note: my pretty girl (otherwise known as Amaya) "called" some new people today.  We have this alarm clock that looks kinda like a phone and anything that looks like one, is one. =)  So she is calling people and telling me who she is calling.  She always wants "Mommy" to talk to them first (that's a good sign - cause mommy will have to see who she is talking too and make sure it's appropriate).  Anyway, so today she called, Sabannah (othewise known as Savannah), Sabwina (otherwise known as Sabrina) and Bwenda (otherwise known as Brenda). I'm not sure when she saw Savannah last but it must have left a good impression on her. =) Sabrina was in the nursery on Sunday night and she's talked about that night since then. Brenda baby-sat for a bit over summer so Amaya just remembers her and always wants to say hi, but hardly ever does...silly girl.

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

Oh my goodness Amaya is too much! She has such a creative little mind. I love reading your posts P. Elaine thank you for sharing your heart so openly.

hoosierbabe said...

Dakota has just started talking about kids at daycare. There's a girl named Savannah whom she calls Sbanna or Sfanna. :)