Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A Recipe and A Revelation

RECIPE
Last night I made one of the best Fish meals I've made in a long time.  I don't make fish very often since I don't have many good tried and true recipes. I served it with a side of asparagus. I got my most recent issue of Taste of Home's Simple and Delicious and I decided to try a recipe out of it.  It was "simple and delicious."  For any new and seasoned cooks, I recommend both of these magazines: Taste of Home or Taste of Home Simple and Delicious.  I've had a subscription for several years now and I love it. I told Chad I might not renew one of them so I can get another magazine but just thinking about that makes me kinda sad...not sure if I can do it. =)


Crumb-Topped Baked Fish (My variations in parentheses)

4 Haddock or Cod Fillets (I used Tilapia - I got these at Wal-mart, they were individually frozen)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 1/4 c. seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 c. shredded chedder cheese (I used Parmesan Cheese)
1/4 c. melted butter
1 T minced fresh parsley (I used 1 t. dried parsley)
1/2 t. dried marjoram
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. dried rosemary, crushed

Place fillets on a greased baking sheet (I used a Pampered Chef stone); season with salt and pepper. In a small bowl combine the remaining ingredients; pat onto fillets (just the top).  Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes (I did 20 min b/c the stone takes longer to heat) or until fish flakes easily with fork. 
Makes 4 servings.


Asparagus (Found at Simply Recipes)

1 bunch of asparagus
2 T the most exquisite Extra Virgin Olive Oil (I used what I had)
2 T fresh grated Parmesan (I used the bagged kind b/c I used all my fresh with the fish recipe)
1 t. lemon zest - freshly grated lemon rind (I used lemon juice since I had no lemons)
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Prepare the asparagus by rinsing them thoroughly, break off any tough white bottoms and discard. Cut into 1 to 2 inch sections, slicing at a slight angle (I left mine whole).

Fill a medium sized saucepan half way with water, bring to a boil. Add the asparagus and reduce heat slightly to a simmer. Parboil the asparagus for exactly 2 minutes. Drain the hot water. While the asparagus are still hot, toss them in a bowl with the olive oil, Parmesan, and lemon rind. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm or room temperature.
I didn't follow all of the above boiling directions. Below is what I did. 
(Fill a big pot halfway water. Once it's boiling, put the asparagus into the water for 3 min.)

This meal gets a ***** rating from me.  This was YUMMY!!!

REVELATION (this is from an email I sent to my life group today)

On Sunday Pastor Kim, asked us to pray, "God give me the courage to allow you to get in ALL parts of me." This really spoke to me.  Have I given all parts of my heart to Him?  Have I given Him the those deep, hidden areas of hurt, bitterness or whatever it may be.  Sometimes we don't even know until it's revealed to us through the word and a specific message that God has for us.  I pray that today, you have the courage to allow God to get in an area that you have kept from Him.

A few days ago, I was reading in II Peter 5 and I read these scriptures for it seems like the "first" time.  I've read it a lot more than that but my eyes were opened anew to it.

"Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time,  / casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." II Peter 5:6-7

I had always read these two scripture separately.  They are on two different pages in my Bible and I don't think I've ever read them together.  (Crazy!) I've never attributed my humility with casting my care upon Him.  I've prayed for God to make and keep me humble but have been keeping things that "I need" to take care of.  That's definitely something in my "chest of drawers" that has been hidden - it's in one of those lower drawers...that ones that don't get opened much. I pray that through this Braveheart Series (this is our October topic at City Church), our true hearts are revealed and in turn made stronger as we turn and give our all to Jesus!
 

No comments: